Every month I will be writing a round-up of my #gaplife adventures. From where I’ve been to what I’ve eaten, I’ll be keeping you up-to-date with everything that’s been happening on and away from The Student Travels. Catch up with Month One & Two & THREE. Enjoy!
Places Visited: Melbourne, Victoria; Mornington Peninsula, Victoria; Sydney to Melbourne road-trip, Coastal Art Walk, Victoria.
What’s Been Happening Away From the Blog
- I joined Snapchat! For as-they-happen insights into my trip follow me at “studenttravels”.
- Werk, werk, werk, werk. I’ve had a four-week work placement which has been taking up the majority of my time. I leave in the dark, get home in the dark and spend my evenings curled up in front of the TV. Not very productive…
- We bought a car! Read all about our new addition here.
- Being invited to enjoy the Good Food and Wine Festival at Melbourne’s Convention and Exhibition Centre. The fact that I was able to share the treats this blog gives me with Ryan and two of our friends was great! The unlimited free cheese and wine helped as well…
- Finally seeing more of Melbourne’s coastline! This month I explored Melbourne’s Coastal Art Walk which was so much better than I’d imagined. I then ventured further afield to Mornington Peninsula for the best beaches I’ve seen yet!
- Seeing the best sunset of my life at Brighton Beach. Unfortunately no picture could ever do it justice!
- Our first overnight road-trip! Getting a taste for the open road was all that we needed to spur us on through our last remaining weeks of work.
- We have had to do a lot of number crunching this month and the results haven’t been as pretty as we had anticipated. Despite our best efforts at budgeting, Melbourne does a great job of draining your cash. Damn your coffee shops and amazing bars!
- Missing out on big events at home. One of my oldest friends from school is getting married and I’m not there for the celebrations which has been a lot harder to get over than I’d anticipated. I’m just hoping that I get to catch a glimpse of the ceremony via Skype.
- Our friends from uni have left us! It was great having some familiar faces around for just over a month but now they’ve moved on to the next stage of their adventure. You will be missed guys!
Most Popular Blog Post
This month you guys were feeling those summer vibes and checked out my post Why you should go to a festival in Mainland Europe this summer. Just think of me when you’re sunning it up in Croatia or Germany, I’ll be the girl shivering through Australia’s winter!
Most Liked Instagram Picture
This picture makes me want to lick the screen, and apparently you guys thought it equally drool-worthy as it racked up the most likes on Instagram this month! There’s more about this picture in the Favorite Eat section below!
See the Instagram pic above… Juicy Bao in China Town is probably my favorite Chinese restaurant EVER. Chinese has never been my cuisine of choice but their amazing array of freshly made dumplings are enough to make anyone dribble.
What makes it even better? It is SO cheap, BYOB and you can watch the ladies make the dumplings in the front window!
This month, it has to be Cape Schanck at sunset. This spot on the Mornington Peninsula is stunning at any time of day but it was particularly peaceful at sunset. Watching the sun sink behind the gorgeous little lighthouse was one of those moments I know I won’t forget.
What I’m Looking Forward to Next Month
My friend from home, Leah, is coming to visit! I have left my calendar completely free so that I can have a whole 2 weeks free to show Leah around Melbourne and beyond. We have a couple of road-trips and a city break planned so stay tuned for that.
Ryan and I are leaving Melbourne! I can’t believe that our time here is nearly up. But the road is calling and I can’t wait to set off in search of our next adventure. It’s exciting to think where this post will be coming from next month! See you on the other side…