Some strange things have been happening to me since I’ve moved abroad. It’s changed the way I think, the way I look at the world and even how I speak! Can you relate to any of these?
- You will become more like your national stereotype
- Everyone will love your British accent – exploit it!
- You might start to develop an accent
- For the first few months you will feel guilty about having a lazy day, there’s just so much to explore!
- WhatsApp will become a lifeline
- You will hunt down the closest supermarket that sells marmite
- Everyone will ask about your thoughts on the Royal Family
- You become more patriotic than you’ve ever been before
- You constantly scroll through BBC News to keep up with what’s going on at home
- You start picking up the local slang
- You get used to the local weather and react as the locals do (i.e- complaining about the cold when it’s 17 degrees or shrugging off massive hail which smashes car windscreens)
- You always know the time difference at home
- The local wildlife doesn’t faze you anymore (Oh, another possum or rainbow parrot? Meh.)
- You get hooked on a local tv series (hello Masterchef Australia…)
- You can pick out an English accent from a mile off
- You realise that people aren’t so different after all
- You adopt your new home as your own
Do you have anything to add to the list? Let me know via my social media pages or in the comments below!